Get Beautiful, Beachy Waves with DIY Sea Salt Spray
Who doesn’t love the way their hair looks after spending a day on the beach? Okay, okay, some of us do not have hair that reacts well to that salty, humid air, but there’s no denying that beachy waves are immensely popular among women. It would be so great if we could live at the beach and have that casual, sexy hair all day, every day, but most of us do not have that luxury.
Great news! Living at the beach is not a pre-requisite for beachy waves! Achieving the style is as easy as some sea salt spray, which can be made right from the comfort of your home. You can buy sea salt spray from pretty much any beauty supply or drug store, but even the least DIY-savvy person can make their own spray, with simple household ingredients, no less.
This easy and fun DIY will give your hair perfect beachy waves wherever you are. It’s super easy and takes 5 minutes, max! All you need are 5 ingredients and a spray bottle that sprays a fine mist.
Follow this step by step guide to learn how you can make this product on your own!
Ingredients for DIY Sea Salt Spray
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- Some hot water (hot, but not boiling)
- 1/4 teaspoon of regular hair gel
- 1/2 teaspoon of unrefined coconut oil
- Some drops of essential oil (optional)
And don’t forget your plastic spritz bottle! You can buy this from a nearby drugstore or even a dollar store.
Mixing the Sea Salt Spray
- Carefully pour the hot water into the spray bottle and add the sea salt. Hot water is better than warm or cold water as it will dissolve the sea salt easily. Avoid using boiling water. Spills may occur as you pour the water into the spray bottle and if the water is too hot, you may get burned. Remember, for any DIY, safety is paramount.
- Shake the mixture thoroughly until all the sea salt dissolves in the water.
- Place the unrefined coconut oil and hair gel into a separate container and mix them together. Once mixed uniformly, add this mixture to your spritz bottle. You can use more or less of the coconut oil depending on the oiliness of your hair. The aim of adding this oil to the spray is to give your hair a lovely sheen. If your hair is naturally oily and is prone to looking greasy, use a quarter teaspoon of coconut oil instead.
- Adding the coconut oil will give your spray a natural coconut scent. You can add whatever essential oil you like best to give your spray a different fragrance if need be. Pouring in a few drops of peppermint oil into the spray will leave your hair smelling fresh all-day long.
- Shake up the contents of the spray bottle for a minute or so, until all the ingredients are well-mixed together.
That’s it! Since everyone has different hair, you may want to experiment with the measurements a little bit to find what works best for your individual style.
How to use sea salt spray for beachy waves
For wet hair, sea salt spray can be used to create beautiful beachy waves. Spraying it onto dry hair will add some texture, volume and shine to your hair.
How to Apply Sea Salt Spray to Dry Hair
On the second or third day after wash day, your hair may feel a bit flat and dry, and in much need of some livening up. This sea salt spray is all you need to transform and revive your hair. Spray the mixture along the length of your strands as well as on your roots. Gently rustle your hair with your fingers to add some texture and volume. This simple trick will leave your locks looking luscious any day of the week.
How to Apply Sea Salt Spray to Wet Hair
After washing your hair, gently squeeze your locks with a towel to get rid of excess water. Your hair should not be dripping wet as you add the spray. If too wet, your valuable mixture will simply drip off your hair strands along with the excess water and go to waste.
Spritz the sea salt spray from the ends of your hair all the way up to the mid-length. Avoid spraying the roots of your hair because the extra oil may leave your strands with an unpleasant greasy feel and look. After spraying, flip your hair over your head and scrunch the ends up toward the root to create the waves. Give it some time to air dry undisturbed. For more pronounced waves, twirl your wet strands around your finger then allow them to dry.
Last Minute Tips
If you have some natural texture in your hair, these beachy waves should be easy to achieve. For anyone with fine, straight hair, twisting it up into a loose bun after applying the spray can help you get those beautiful beachy waves.
There you have it! Your very own home-made sea salt spray. With this DIY spray, you can wear your hair in lovely beachy waves any time of the year.